The Federal Executive Council (FEC) on Wednesday approved the sum of N206bn for the construction of the Second Niger Bridge link road. The contract for the 11.9 kilometre road was awarded to Julius Berger.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed told newsmen in Abuja that the bridge itself is just 1.95 metres in length while the link road is 11.9 kilometres.
According to him, the sum of N14bn had been paid to the contractors. Mohammed also disclosed that the FEC equally approved the re-award of Oji-Achi Mmaku- Awgu- Ndeabor road which is in Enugu State for the sum of N11.558 bn.
He said the contract was given to another contractor, Setraco as the former contractor earlier given the job could not execute it.
“There were two memos from the Minister of Power, Works and Housing Mr. Babatunde Fashola, which were considered and approved today. The first is the approval for the re-award of the contract for the rehabilitation of the Oji- Achi- Mmaku- Awgu- Ndeabor road in Enugu State. The contract was approved today (wednesday) at the sum of N11.558,6976 awarded to Mssr Setraco Nigeria limited.
“Completion period is 24 months. What happened was that the contract was awarded earlier to a company that failed and Setraco that was given other sections of the road performed and had now been awarded the contract while that of the other contractor has been rescinded.
“Also approved today is the contract for the link road and associated infrastructure for the second Niger Bridge. If you remember, this time last week I was in Onitsha and Asaba inspecting the second Niger Bridge.
“Today, FEC has now approved the award of the link road, the bridge itself is just 1.95metres but the link road is 11.9 km and this contract was awarded to Julius Berger for the sum of N206 billion. It will include not just the link road but also associated infrastructure and this bridge links Anambra and Delta States.
“Remember that the project was conceived by the last administration under a PPP arrangement which failed and that is why the federal government had to take over this contract. So far, about N14 billion had been paid to contractors handling the bridge and the contract that was awarded is for the link and associated infrastructure that will link the bridge.”