Four Customs officers detained over Ogun shooting incident




The Nigeria Customs Service has made public the interrogation and detention of four of its officers in connection with the shooting to death on Sunday of one Mr. Godwin Onoja, identified as a friend of the Service.

Spokesman of the Nigeria customs Service, Mr. Joseph Attah, made this known in a statement to newsmen.

Attah said that the Service had maintained contacts with the family of the deceased to commiserate with them since the unfortunate incident on Sunday at the Shagamu interchange in Ogun.

He said: “Following the unfortunate incident on Sunday 17th February 2019 at Shagamu Interchange involving Operatives of the Federal Operations Unit Zone A, which led to the death of a fellow citizen, Mr. Godwin Agada Onoja, the Nigeria Customs Service has continued to maintain close contact with the bereaved family.

We are pained by this sad development and share the grief of losing a fellow compatriot in a seemingly avoidable circumstance. We are and will continue to take every necessary step that will cushion the pain associated with losing a dear one.

Attah said that a thorough investigation into the immediate and remote causes of the incident had been instituted by the Comptroller-General of Customs Col. Hameed Ibrahim Ali (Rtd), with a view to ensuring that justice is served.

He said that the investigation panel headed by the Zonal Coordinator Zone A, ACG Kaycee Ekekezie, had yet concluded the investigation as the officer whose riffle discharged (ASCI Destiny Onebamho) was stiill receiving medical attention as a result of attack following the unfortunate incident.

He will face the panel as soon as he is fit to do so, to enable the panel conclude investigation and recommend appropriate action(s),” Attah added.

The Customs Spokesman promised that the ongoing investigation would be holistic, including looking at the weapon handling skills and actions that must be taken by the Service to possibly prevent future occurrence.

He said the Service would cntinue to update the public with details of every action taken in the handling of the unfortunate incident, adding that the Service would not shield any of its found liable in the matter.

Attah made reference to the action taken by the Service in 2017 when five officers found guilty upon investigation, where dismissed and handed over for prosecution in the case of illegal release of 661-pump action riffles from Apapa Port.